Tuesday 2 September 2008

The Black Sock Syndrome

An excerpt from ‘Overcoming Stupidity’ by Andy Green.

The first and foremost excuse for not getting anything done is ‘I haven’t got time?’

I have yet to meet anyone who says they have loads of spare time.

Whether you are challenging stupidity or coming up withy new creative ideas, you will similarly face objections of ‘You don’t have enough time.’

It is inevitable that if you are exploring new ways of doing, or taking up new challenges it will consume valuable time.   
So the first task of either a Stupid Aid ambassador or creative person is to create time for themselves.

In my house I once had a thief. After doing the laundry I would find I would have odd socks missing. Where had they gone? Have they walked away, or been eaten? I just found it an incredible waste of my time acting as a sock dating agency matching up different socks together.

My solution: I now wear just black socks and get away with wearing socks that may not be an original pair, but being uniformly black, people don’t seem to notice. The solution has generated sufficient added value to provide a solution to the problem, and I now have created more time for myself from.

What is the equivalent of your ‘black socks syndrome’? Where in your life can you save time on unnecessary or unimportant things?

You can use this new spare time for either your new creative ideas or for tackling compound stupidity around you.

Learn more about the book "Overcoming Stupidity" by clicking on the link



No comments: